Sneak preview…check out our new logo

So it’s been more than 10 years since we launched the SmartSalary brand, and we thought that it was about time that we gave it a refresh.  In fact, we thought we might get your thoughts before we officially released the new SmartSalary brand.

As you know, the current logo is black and purple with an S symbol in the front of it.

smartsalary existing logo

Going forward, we’ve elected to keep our name and our brand colour purple – the marketing whizzes say that there is way too much brand equity in the name and even the colour (whew!).

Here is the new logo they came up with:

smartsalary new logo

So as you can see, in addition to the fancy new font, we’ve also added a new tagline, “saving money, made easy.”  And see that funny symbol at the top left corner . . . it’s intentionally a bit abstract and supposed to be a coin dropping into a piggy bank slot . . . so it ties into the “saving money, made easy” tagline – not bad, heh?

Leave a comment here

17 Responses to “Sneak preview…check out our new logo”

1. 1 Neroli Marke-Hutton February 11, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I would leave as is – it is catchy and says what it does – doesent need the extra expalination. Its also expensive to change a logo on eveything – so please SAVE OUR MONEY and dont change.

• 2 ceosmartsalary February 12, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Ya, agree that re-branding can be expensive. Can assure you that we won’t be busting the bank on this one – agree that it is much better to direct expenses towards delivering value to customers! 🙂

Also, good point about the tagline. The existing customers don’t need it, but we do think it’ll help get the message out. Also, we are branching out into a number of other products (some of which you’ll learn about soon!), all focussed on helping people to save money, so the tagline will be a bit of a unifying theme across the businesses.

2. 3 Penny Earle February 16, 2010 at 11:02 am

I think the old one is fine- to refresh is OK but really, is it necessary????? You are a quality business- Don’t rock the boat!

i think it is an unnecessary change.

3. 4 Chris Alexander February 16, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I thought the logo looked like a smiling ball or wheel at first! It looks fine. I thought your branding was ok before.

4. 5 Jeanette February 17, 2010 at 11:39 pm

How does it add to attraction or value?. How do you know the old one is not enough?
    I thought it was a magnifying glass. Then I thought it was a smiley face. You say it is a coin in a money bank. Never occured to me. The S in the current logo works for me. When i had to choose a salary packing co. I had 2 names. Yours was easier to remember.
    What does impress me is a company that has excellent customer service. Have a look at how westnet does it and what that does to improving business.
    I am actually a happy customer. Everything we have done together has worked easily with one small glitch (mine) which was responded to very promptly and immediately rectified by you
    thanks jg

5. 6 Julie fox February 18, 2010 at 10:10 am

Yeah I like it, like the funny face its appropriate to the new tag line, although its really abstract, can’t figure out straight away, but still better I think than the old one!! Keep up the good work!!!

6. 7 Rhonda February 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Looks like a cute smiley face to me too – yuk. Keep it as is – nice and simple.

7. 8 Marj Barron February 18, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Thought the new pic was smiley marble rolling down the road to retirement, which, sadly does not have a rainbow at the end of the road. New logo depicts the importance of SAVING contradicted by the fact that money is being spent on a new logo unnecessarily. Nothing wrong with the old!

8. 9 Joanna February 19, 2010 at 10:16 am

I prefer the old logo – the new one looks more cluttered without being any better. But my least favourite part of the new logo is how the ‘y’ is the same size as the other letters instead of having a longer hanging tail. It looks so odd! 😉

Maybe you could keep the new picture of the coin dropping into the slot and the old text?

9. 10 Leslie-anne February 19, 2010 at 1:36 pm

It’s fine-like the new font, but think the coin thing is a bit too abstract, and not really necessary. Maybe trying too hard and a bit obscure. Seems most people are having to be told what it’s meant to be so, it kinda misses the point. (I thought it was a smiley face.) However the old one was fine too, so not really sure its necessary to change.

10. 11 Rob February 20, 2010 at 5:06 am

I thought it was an eyeless (therefore blind, not a good message) smiley face driving down the road (relevant, since most people package cars). If you want it to be a coin in a slot, you might have to at least draw the coin in perspective. If you want to tart up the current design, then maybe you could make the ‘S’ look more like a dollar sign, since we only do this to save money. Final thought – it’s service delivery that’s important to ensure you retain your existing customer base and get them to recruit new customers. Apart from the fact I was able to acquire the car much faster than you were, since then your service has been very good.

11. 12 Joanne February 20, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I like the new font because it is definitely more modern. I see a smile, then rolling down the road. After reading the tagline, the coin into the slot makes sense. I guess it’s a good thing that we see different things in the logo? Over all, it’s an improvement.

12. 13 John Carswell February 22, 2010 at 8:02 am

What a waste of money. The logo had no influence on my decision to use the service!

13. 14 Tony Ware February 22, 2010 at 6:05 pm

The new logo lokks like a snail………

14. 15 Cheryl February 23, 2010 at 8:51 pm

I thought it was a smiley face which is a bit `cutesy’ for something as serious as maximising income. I wasn’t sure what the stripe was meant to represent. It seems like only yesterday we changed Logo. I think the current Logo is strong and still current. Save the money, the trees and reduce the admin fees instead!

15. 16 Marg February 24, 2010 at 7:05 pm

My Motto is, if something works why change it!!

16. 17 ceosmartsalary August 3, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Thanks everyone for your feedback. The split in our poll was roughly 50/50 between those who like the the new logo and those who like the old one.

We took on your feedback and thought again about leaving the logo as it was . . . we also toyed with some of your further suggestions for improving the logo . . . however, try as we might, we reverted back to the concept we first presented on this blog.

As you know by now, we’ve progressively been updating the logo on our website and other collateral. One thing that has stuck with me is the strong feedback you provided against unnecessary expenditure. As such, the changes have really been quite progressive and small things like my business card will not be updated until I actually run out . . . we need to be mindful that we make best use of your fees!

Thanks again for your feedback . . . we really are humbled by how interested many of our customers are in so many facets of our business and will always do our best to continue to use your funds wisely and provide you with the best salary packaging experience possible.

Kind regards,